Calculating Calories and %’s of Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats Per Day
One of the major disservices people do to their bodies these days is simply eating until they are full while having no idea how many calories or how much protein, fat and carbohydrates they are eating on a daily basis. This leads to obesity, nutrient deficiencies and disease before you ever reach 40 years old.
Please take the time to read this so you can get an idea of how to manage your foods and give your body the right amount and types of fuel it needs to have vitality and longevity.
In the meantime, enjoy these healthy meals and recipes - hopefully you will add them to a nutrition regimen that supports your unique lifestyle and requirements.
Step #1 – Calculate your Total Calorie Intake
Basal Metabolic Rate
Your BMR is the amount of energy you expend daily at rest.
Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)
Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)
Active Metabolic Rate
Your AMR represents how many calories are required to stay at your current weight, depending on your activity level.
Calculate your AMR by using your BMR and estimating your current level of activity. If you are:
- Sedentary (little or no exercise) – your AMR = BMR x 1.2
- Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.375
- Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.55
- Very active (hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.725
- Ultra active (very hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.9
Step #2 – Calculate your Protein Intake
Here is a good chart and study.
*Note: If you are very overweight and your excess weight is from excess body fat (not muscle), these #’s will overestimate your protein needs. The extra fat on your body does not require extra protein intake.
To avoid overestimating your protein needs, use your desired, healthy weight instead of your actual weight.
Step #3 – Calculate your Protein, Carb and Fat %’s
Once you know your (a) calories and (b) protein per day, you can calculate what % your protein will take up of your diet. This will give you some idea of how to adjust the rest of your calories; fat and carbs.
To find your protein calories per day; multiply your protein (grams) by 4 (there are 4 calories in every gram of protein) – this gives you your total # of protein calories per day.
Now take your total protein calories and divide it by your total calories (AMR) – this gives you your % of protein per day of your total calories.
So let’s say your total calories are 2,000, and your protein intake per day should be 100 grams (400 calories); 400 divided by 2,000 = 0.20, or 20%. That leaves 80% for fat and carbs.
There are 4 calories per gram in carbs and protein, and 9 calories per gram in fat. That means there are over twice as many calories in equal amounts of fat than carbs or protein.
So now that you have your total calories and protein %, it’s time to figure out your fat and carb %’s. This is where it gets tricky and varies a lot, depending on your goals, lifestyle and body type, so much so that an entire chapter in a book should be dedicated to it.
Lucky for you, I did just that, and you can find it here in my E-Book, Boosting Metabolism with Food and Habits.
Just an FYI, the average American adult (35.7% obesity incidence) intakes the following:
- Men = 2,504 calories/day
- Women = 1,771 calories/day
- Carbohydrates = 50%
- Fat = 33.5%
- Protein = 16%
Here is an example of an active person with an AMR of 2,000 calories and who intakes 33% fat, 20% protein and 47% carbs.
- Fat = 660 calories or 73.3 grams per day
- Protein = 400 calories or 100 grams per day
- Carbohydrates = 940 calories or 235 grams per day
LET THE EXPERIMENTATION BEGIN!!!
If you need professional guidance to help fine tune your ratios for maximum health and performance, then that is where I come in.
I can help you monitor your symptoms (cold hands or feet, or changes in body temperature and pulse after eating usually mean that your ratios and or foods are off) and change your ratios or foods so that your body gets the perfect combination and types of foods to utilize.
This could mean the difference between health and disease…or 1st place and 5th place.
My consultation fees are as low as you will find for what you will get. Our first session will be $65 and last at least 30 minutes on the phone, including email questionnaires, handouts, specific food options, allergy monitoring and more, plus monthly Q & A’s via email. After that, a monthly plan can be worked out via email Q.A. for a very reasonable monthly fee.
Contact me for more info firstname.lastname@example.org